Thursday, February 7, 2008

My First Step for Every Trip

No matter where I'm going in the USA, I never start a trip with out first making a trip to RoadFood.com and scoping out my destination in the numerous books by Jane and Michael Stern.

Never.

And if I'm driving, I save a place in the front of the car for the Roadfood books just in case I get hungry on the road.

So what exactly is "Roadfood" and who are these Jane and Michael people?

Road food (two words) is those wonderful regional meals along the highways and backroads you find in small towns and city neighborhoods. It's found in diners, truckstops and joints. It's made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters and sandwich-makers. It's almost always informal and inexpensive.




The best road food restaurants are those colorful places enjoyed by the locals and the savvy traveler who knows where to look.

Knowing where to look is what Roadfood (one word) is all about.

Jane and Micheal Stern's Roadfood comfortably crosses several media telling people where to find good road food across the USA.

They have written several excellent guidebooks about road food.

They write a monthly column in Gourmet called "Two for the Road" about road food.

They appear weekly on "The Splendid Table" talking about road food.

And they have a delicious website devoted to...you guessed it!...road food.


We'll talk more about the various places to get your Roadfood fixes while we discuss where to find good road food in upcoming posts.

The next post tells you about me and why I am doing this Blog.

Until then,

Mark

No comments: